Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Decisions...

Just thinking about transportation this morning. While on MySpace, an advertisement for the 2009 Toyota Corolla caught my eye. It is a nice looking, convenient, well built, fairly affordable, fuel efficient vehicle. As a matter of fact, I have owned two within the last 25 years.

The thing I chuckled at was the advertised gas mileage. 35MPG for this car? My '98 Chevy S10 pickup gets better than that! Perhaps, mileage not withstanding, vehicle decisions comes down to an objective choice with a lot of subjectivity thrown in for good measure.

As an example of the objective, say I need a vehicle to get me back and forth to work. It is a 20 mile commute in parched, hot Las Vegas traffic. Simple objective exclusion to the criteria: Jet skis will simply not work.

Getting back to the gas mileage, yes, 35MPG rated for the new Corolla. My motorcycle, a 1200cc Harley Davidson Sportster gets on average about 55MPG in the city and up to 70MPG on the highway. So, regardless of how nice my bike looks, or how fast she is or easy to ride; she gets better gas mileage than most cars. There is MY objectivity for the day. ;-)

No comments: