Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pulling the Trigger

"Give Jack a call! He will have a deal for you, definitely!"

That is what I was told. My little Rebel struggled to keep up with the larger bikes last weekend, and in many situations failed miserably. She was pushed the hardest she ever had been. The hard accelerations, the mountain passes, the traffic, the harsh weather. We rode through rain and hail and high winds and dust and sand clouds all at 65 to 75 MPH. She was valiant.

She waited until the day after to protest. She blew an oil seal on the main crank shaft.

Now, I have been told that I do not communicate well, but this communication was loud and clear; no more hard rides, please. In respect of the fact that she valiantly rode across the US and back with me, I shall respect her wishes.

So, I start reviewing my finances and options. I can get a fix'er up'er or go to a dealership. A fellow told me of Jack at Red Rock Harley. "He will find a deal for you!"

Well, I have heard that before. On my Friday lunch hour I drive over to take a look. First was a blue Sportster 883; 2006 I think. Not thrilled.

I asked Jack about the new arrival of used bikes. This, Jack had mentioned the day before on the phone. We go back and look. There she is. There was that primal tingle on the back of my neck; the twitchy throttle hand; the dry mouth; and the almost indescribable need to find some gear and go for a ride.
She is a Harley Davidson 2004 Sportster XL1200 Custom. This includes soft saddle bags (almost new), stepped seat (I like that), passenger back rest and short, LOUD pipes. I pick her up on Tuesday.

3 comments:

GYMONR said...

Congratulations!!! You’re a Harley guy now!!! I’m still a Yamaha guy myself…Ha-ha. Did you trade in the little rebel or did you keep the old girl. I love the sportsters I just wish sometimes I was a smaller guy so I could fit on one; they fit my budget a lot better than the bigger Harleys. Keep up the good work…
Big Al

Baron's Life said...

Sporster is a good bike...enjoy and ride safely...thanks for sharing

RazorsEdge2112 said...

Thanks! I kept the little Rebel. Figure it's a nice little & cheap ride for work commuting and my daughter wants to learn to ride.