Tuesday, October 31, 2006

October 31, 2006
T-Minus 7 days!!!

I have been an amateur radio hobbiest since 1983, almost 23 years. I can't truly state that it is a passion, rather an enjoyable activity. There is a certain appeal to the thought of taking my HF radio along on this journey. It would allow me contact with people all over the world, right from my rental car. I would partake in an activity known as “county running.” This activity involves me making contact with other amateur radio operators via the radio, from different counties along my journey.

I did this once before and yes, it was a lot of fun, and is certainly an enjoyable activity worth consideration. How, then, does one decide whether or not to partake in an enjoyable activity, when the activity is part of a larger context; and the purpose of that context is enjoyment?
This was not an easy choice. And it was a test. To bring all of my radio equipment and partake in that particular enjoyable activity, or to leave it behind and focus on other enjoyable endeavors? In keeping with my newfound energy, individuality and decisiveness, I made the choice and will ruminate no more. The radio equipment stays home.

No Ham Please!

No comments: