Monday, August 25, 2008

T-Minus 32 Days and Counting

And the paranoia starts setting in. Pictured to the left is a clutch cage for a Honda Rebel, the bike that will carry me 6000 miles in 21 days. I think my clutch is slipping and that worries me. But I have other worries.

Can I handle riding 300 - 500 miles a day? Will my new tires hold up? Will I run into snow while riding over the Rockies in Colorado? Will my chain handle the punishment? Will the brakes need to be replaced or will they hold up? What if I run out of money 1000 miles from home?

I know... Earl mentioned in a comment, that many of those worries will just evaporate once I am underway. Yes, I know they will. When taking cars on long journeys I do the same thing; worry about things and once on the road the worry just dissolves.

Maybe that is the magic of the journey. Maybe my lesson in this is to not worry so much. Prepare and then enjoy. It's a good lesson for me.

No comments: