Monday, August 18, 2008

T-Minus 39 Days and Counting

Only 39 days. I would be lying if I said there were no apprehensive thoughts going through my brain. The possibility of an accident, or of running out of money, or of not being able to find a place to stay, or of mechanical failure. These thoughts, as the time of my departure nears, are becoming more tangible.

I think the bike will be fine, but... I am a little worried about the brakes as they are starting to be a little thin. I am a little worried about the tires as they are wearing a little and starting to get weathering cracks. Well, worried may be too harsh a word. Concerned may describe my feelings a little better. I can replace the brakes and tires, but they cost money. An I can see I will be running tight the way it is.

Then there is the weather. Don't get me wrong, weather does not frighten me. After witnessing more than thirteen tornadoes, a tropical storm, innumerable ice and hail and snow storms, I have acquired an odd sort of appreciation for adverse weather. What I worry about is snow in Colorado. I heard on the Weather Channel how I70 was getting snow already in Colorado, just west of Denver. That is my route through the state. I am not afraid of it, I am concerned it will put me behind schedule.

More later---

3 comments:

Doug C said...

Ken, I can't remember if your route takes you through Ohio or not - something tells me you plan on going a little south from me - but if your in neighborhood, count on a hot meal and a cold drink (or a cup of joe) from me.

I'm not sure I'd have what it takes to do a 1000+ or 2000+ trip solo.

CruisingOhio@gmail.com

Doug C

Doug C said...

BTW, glad to see you posting again. Was wondering where you might have gone...

RazorsEdge2112 said...

Hi Doug!
I have been hiding away getting ready for my little trip. Time has been pretty short so I haven't been posting here. Now that things are getting settled, I hope to be posting more.

Yes, I think I am going to be a little to your south. Actually, I don't think I am going to be in Ohio at all. I am going to be pitching a tent at a fellow's place just south of Indianapolis. Then riding south into Kentucky. Thanks for the offer! Would have enjoyed the opportunity to have a beverage with you.

Maybe next time. I am already planning for my next little insane adventure!