Sunday, November 09, 2008

Ahhh, Google Cache

Thank goodness for Google Cache. Several weeks ago I was searching for a post that I accidentally deleted from a motorcycle travel forum and had minimal luck. BUT, a good friend told me about a good method to use and there it was.

To others, finding deleted posts are much more important. Sometimes the user deletes a post, then has an 'Oh Crap' moment. Other times, websites completely go down. Then there are the un-auspicious times when a website owner and/or operator goes rogue and deletes peoples' posts.

Enter the world of Google Cache. Google caches the forums it indexes. Say, you Google something like advrider.com +VegasRider You will get only five results. Well, at the bottom of the page is a link to "...repeat the search with the omitted results included." Click on that and there are more than five pages of posts. Do you see the little links labeled "Cache"? Those are the golden links for people wanting to get at stuff that is no longer openly available.

Even if advrider.com is not available, the post is still in the cache.

So, it is easy. Go to www.google.com Enter the website domain name, a space, a plus sign (+) and then the username or keyword you are looking for.

Say I am looking for posts about Renthal chains for a Honda Rebel. I would enter rebel250.com +Renthal

Maybe I want to find all of my posts on the local motorcycle riding forum my2wheels. I would just search by my2wheels.com +vegasrider and click the "...repeat the search with the omitted results included" link. There they are. I can either view them on the website, of if someone deleted the post, I can look at them in the cache.

One note on this... Password Protected forums and sites are not Googled, so therefore are not cached.

And a special thanks to a good friend who pointed this out to me! Thanks!!!!!

No comments: